We kept busy for the rest of the day with a trip to the park, Wal-mart, and then to the local cupcake shop (indulging in some last minute cravings). Our final stop was to my 40 week appointment; where I was 3-4 cm dilated, and I opted to have her strip my membranes. Around 6:00 that night I was getting some contractions, but they weren't painful, so I figured they'd taper off if I drank some water and relaxed and attributed it to my membranes being stripped. They continued, but I just tried to ignore them. John got home from work at 7:00 and continued to work on writing orders for his next day's work, just in case we ended up at the hospital that night. I sent the boys outside to play with my Mom and sister and I made a quick dinner for everyone, although I didn't feel like eating anything (major red flag). By 7:30 the contractions had grown in frequency (every few minutes), but I could still talk through them and they were only about 30-40 seconds long. I decided to get ready to leave just to be safe, but was still in denial. By 7:45 I had to stop and breathe through the contractions and they were now painful. In between the contractions I got the boys PJ's ready, washed the dishes, grabbed last minute things I'd need to take to the hospital, and started Toy Story as a distraction to the boys before we left. I told Jack that baby Stella might be coming that night and he said, "But your water didn't break!" John loaded up the car, I kissed my boys and we left the house at 8:00.
On the ride to the hospital my contractions had progressed to be about a minute apart and were the most painful contractions I had ever felt. It took me a few tries through the pain to call my midwife and let her know we were on our way. We arrived at the hospital entrance around 8:15, where we left the car out front. I filled out a quick form at the front desk, and was taken to a room immediately, all the while having the most intense pain I've ever experienced. I tried to give a urine sample, but nothing came out (I remembered the same thing happened to me during Jack's birth). I had John help me into a gown and my midwife showed up. After my next contraction she checked me and gave a chuckle as she let me know I was 9 3/4 dilated and completely effaced. John and I looked at one another in disbelief. In a frantic state, I asked if my midwife if she thought I could do it without an epidural (as if I had the choice). She just laughed, and then called out into the hallway that we'd need nurses and equipment right away. During the next contraction I let out an uncontrollable scream, as I could feel her head crowning. I felt my water begin to leak. My midwife calmly asked how I wanted to birth my baby. I was in so much pain I didn't care how she came out. I got onto the bed on all fours and John said he could see the head. The next contraction my bag of waters broke all over the bed. I then sat and was told to lay back a bit, as I was kind of sitting on her head. I was calmly instructed by my midwife to just breathe through the urge to push, as she was easing her own way out. I felt the rest of her head emerge (relief) then a few seconds later out came her shoulders, and then the rest of her slid out (holy sweet relief, best feeling ever).
Our sweet Stella Grace was placed on my chest where she let out the most beautiful cry and was healthy and perfect and I fell instantly in love. Time of birth was 8:27 pm. I was in a slight state of shock. Was I dreaming? Did I really just give birth? I was able to nurse her and cuddle her as I was given a couple stitches due to a couple minor tears. Stella was 7 lbs-7 oz and 20.5 inches long.The first few days I was pretty sore, but now at 10 days postpartum I am feeling great. With the start of Kindergarten 5 days after Stella’s birth, I didn't have much of a choice but to dive right back into life. This past week I've been grocery shopping twice, done school drop-off and pick-up, and have been to a couple appointments. We even took the whole family to the fair yesterday, where Stella slept peacefully the entire few hours in the ergo carrier. My Mom was here for a week, and I couldn't have done it without her and John's help. John was back to work after the long weekend, but has picked up a lot of the slack at home, as I’m finding I can’t do it all. The boys are adjusting to a new school schedule and a new sibling fairly well. They are both smitten and love having a baby sister. I thank God for our THREE beautiful babies, we are beyond blessed.
4 comments:
I'm crying!!! So beautiful. <3 Molly was 7lb 7oz too! :). Xo -katie
I'm crying too! What a beautiful family you are! So happy for you, John, Jack, Cash & Stella! Hugs & kisses! ~ Auntie Robyn
OMG Mel you made it *just* in the nick of time! Amazing story, and job well done! xo! Tanis
What a beautiful birth story! It reminded me a lot like Mason's! We were at the hospital for 15 minutes before he was born and I didn't have time to have an epidural (obviously!) Way to go doing it naturally, the pain goes away so fast; especially when you meet your little one! Congrats! She is beautiful and perfect!
Post a Comment